Friday, June 14, 2013

It's Fashion Friday!: Can't The Circus Come To Town?


COLOR! Fashion Rebel, Rated R,
and Mediteranee Eye Shadow Duo $34
           Have you ever pondered the progression of history that led to it being socially unacceptable to paint your face like a circus performer for daily wear? The cosmetics industry is a multibillion-dollar cash cow bringing colors in powder, gel, and glitter form to people all over the world. So, why not? French women AND men were really into caking on the makeup in an obvious fashion in the 1700’s and 1800’s. They didn’t want to look natural. The more artificial, the more aristocratic. This fascinating website I found says that sometimes people would trace their veins with blue pencil to make their skin look whiter. Sometimes they would use mouse fur to accentuate their eyebrows. How did this not snowball into something Tim Burton worthy? Maybe it was because people were actually killing themselves with the lead paint they used to turn their skin white….
            How did I find myself thinking about this, you ask?
Amour $29.50
at the Chanel counter
(Sparkles)
Well, I felt compelled to pamper myself with an irresponsible lip-gloss purchase this week. There’s just something so delightful and decadent about acquiring tubes full of sparkles. When I’m indulging, I find that I also want to acquire other kinds of color (in obscene $$$ quantities). Perhaps it’s the artist in me. Perhaps it’s just my inner five year old. Depending on which counter you’re at in Nordstrom, you will find different types of hues. There aren’t many circus colors at Chanel. They keep it classy. 
Wander over to Nars, however, and it’s like a crayon box for your face. Wouldn’t it be fun to look like a crayon box? At least sometimes? Without people thinking you’d totally flipped your cork?  
Okay this is not what I had in mind.
Vivienne Westwood Red Label Fall 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment